The base opened in 1940 and was perhaps best known for being the home of 31 Squadron flying Beaufighters operationally in WWII. Since the war it has operated in a training role.
In 1995 a small heritage centre was opened at the front gate. The external aircraft are always on show and the free to enter museum is open Wednesdays and weekends. There is also a small memorial garden.